Skip to content ↓


Why choose apprenticeships?  What are the benefits for you? What are the benefits for an employer?

Priory Apprenticeships works with local employers, young people new to the working environment, and existing employees that would like to develop within their role or move up within their career path.

To support all parties with their development, Priory Apprenticeships have a bespoke recruitment and training package just for you.

There are lots of key terms and phrases that you may come across as you explore the links – here is a summary of some of the main ones:


Apprentice: The apprentice is the individual who is on the programme. A misconception is that an “apprentice” means no experience, whereas actually it refers to the individual who is on a programme, and learning ‘on the job’, whilst working towards an apprenticeship standard.

For more information about being an apprentice, click here.


Apprenticeship: The programme where someone develops their knowledge and skills under the guidance of an expert, and by ‘learning on the job’.

An apprenticeship is paid, with holiday leave. It has at least 20% of time spent on off-the-job training, whilst the remaining 80% of time is spent learning ‘on the job’ with an employer. An apprenticeship leads to a nationally recognised qualification.


Training Provider: The training provider (Priory Apprenticeships) deliver the 20% ‘off-the-job’ training. This is the training that provides an apprentice with the essential skills to complete their apprenticeship. It is delivered by Priory Apprenticeships’ subject experts, and will cover teaching theory, practical training, and learning support.

If you would like to learn more about Priory Apprenticeships as a training provider, please contact us.


Employer: The employer is where the apprentice spends their 80% of time learning ‘on the job’ for their apprenticeship. An employer may hire a new apprentice (such as a school leaver), whose training can be adapted to meet the needs of their business, or an employer may upskill existing staff through an apprenticeship, according to development and business needs.

The employer pays the apprentice, and will provide ongoing support, mentoring and training for the apprentice throughout the apprenticeship.

For more information about apprenticeships for employers, click here.